baby, i can promise you that by the time that we get through, the world will never ever be the same...

...and we're to blame

Tuesday, August 26, 2008

Another new thing about living inland...

Tornado sirens.

Now, for those of you that grew up or have lived inland for years probably think I'm crazy. But I grew up on a beach with hurricanes that we saw coming for weeks (OK, days, but you get the point). Our siren was Jim Cantore on Wrightsville Beach with a big fan blowing on him for effect.

When I got into work today during the torrential downpour, I heard sirens. I'm thinking, "ambulance, police, fire truck". None of the above, apparently they ring sirens when severe weather is a foot. They did this a few months ago when the tornadoes went through Downtown Atlanta but that was on a weekend and nobody told us they were for the storm. We thought it was emergency officials. Today, people at work informed me that they go off whenever you should proceed with your drills. And, since I am co-chair of the Honeywell Health Safety and Environmental Committee (that's right!), everyone came to me! So, being the quick thinker that I am, I laid out an emergency plan for tornadoes. The sirens had been going off for about 30 minutes and by the time that we all actually thought, "maybe we should seek cover" and go into the middle of the facility, the sirens stopped. So, we'll be ready next time.

2 comments:

Katie said...

I also sit on the lovely EHS committee for my job and oh, how exciting! Do you get orange vests, a hat and an AIR HORN (seriously?!) too?

Lex said...

Well, whenever we go in any production area we have to wear safety glasses and sometimes a hard hat. It took an act of congress to make it so I don't have to wear steal toe boots. I don't have an air horn, but I definitely want one!!