baby, i can promise you that by the time that we get through, the world will never ever be the same...

...and we're to blame

Friday, December 5, 2008

The worst dental experience ever

Yesterday I went to a new dentist because I haven't been since we moved to Atlanta. I use to go every six months and need to get back on that schedule. I had an amazing dentist in Wilmington who I miss terribly, but my insurance will only allow for dentists in Georgia. Anyway, I won't give you the whole story, but I will say I was there for two hours and didn't receive a cleaning. After 18 x-rays and nearly gagging until I was sick, the hygienist came in to "measure" my teeth. After about 30 minutes, she decided I needed a special cleaning. The basic cleaning that insurance covers wouldn't suffice. She proceeded to tell me that I had all kinds of problems with my gums. I NEVER had any gum problems before this and my dentist raved about my whole mouth back in Wilmington. Anyway, after her sales pitch, I told her that I wasn't spending the money (which by the way was $170!!) I asked her to just give me a basic cleaning. She wouldn't!!!!! That's right, she said that she couldn't because that wasn't what she recommended as my "treatment plan". Grrrr....I was so upset by this point it was almost embarrassing. (OK, I was an embarrassment, but I'm never going back so I guess it doesn't matter). This dentist was Coast Dental. Run far far away if you ever have to go there. It's a chain apparently, maybe that has something to do with it. So, now I'm back to the old drawing board of finding a dentist. My insurance company sent a long list so I am going to call around and hopefully find a good one.

2 comments:

Shelley said...

Avoid Nanston Dental, too! The exact same stinkin' thing happened to me! I was there for an hour and a half, they poked around forever and took crazy x-rays saying that this was standard for first time patients. Then, they insisted on the more involved cleaning, and then never cleaned my teeth. But for this cleaning, I have to go back two more times. Argh to dentists!

MereMere said...

How funny that when I clicked on your blog and read the dental experience, the ads at the top were all about teeth/dentistry!