baby, i can promise you that by the time that we get through, the world will never ever be the same...

...and we're to blame

Thursday, May 15, 2008

Some things I love about my job...

1) I work in an office and I'm wearing flip flops...and it's not Friday. Call me crazy but it is the little things that make a difference. Seriously, I am wearing a t-shirt, jeans and flip flops and nobody cares. I think the most I have ever seen anyone dress up was when I tucked an oxford shirt into a dressy skirt. Maybe that's one of the reasons that people are laid back around here. None of the men wear ties...ever. Everyone wears jeans. There is this really metro guy here that dresses nice but still, never wears a tie.

2) I have been given some extra responsibilities that are solely mine. It's nice because people keep coming to me and asking me to help them because only I have been trained on some new policies that Honeywell has installed. For example, we have a new expense reporting solution and I am the "SuperUser". That's right. It's a Honeywell word, no space, capital S-capital U. I'm her, the SuperUser. One guy around here calls me the "Super Used" because everyone comes to me to help them with the reporting. At first, I was not excited that the Controller volunteered me for this position because there was 5 hours of training with a guy named Venkat and it was all tele- or webconferencing. But now, I realize that this is another key on my chain for job security and something great to put on my resume. I mean, let's face it, I can make this little part of my job sound amazing (I did major in Public Relations, which is basically making the mundane sound stupendous and the terrible sound mundane). Besides, the Controller told me he would get me a Super Woman shirt...but I haven't seen it.

3) This place is super diverse. I love that about not only my job, but Atlanta. There are more colors of the rainbow than I've ever seen anywhere. (Yes, I've only lived in Wilmington and Raleigh, but still) Here in our office the following countries are represented: United States, United Kingdom (he wins the best accent award), The Netherlands, Puerto Rico, St. Lucia, Jamaica, Belarus, Russia, and Venezuela. Everyday I call out to or get calls from all over the world. Yesterday, I called the UK, India and Colombia. Maybe I will be able to travel to one of these places sometime!

4) The people I report to are never here so I have a lot of time to cruise around on the Internet. There is one bad thing about that though: Honeywell blocks a lot of websites (anything that streams video, myspace, facebook, etc.). Oh well, I can't complain.

1 comment:

Ryan Tucker said...

glad u love it. u deserve that.