baby, i can promise you that by the time that we get through, the world will never ever be the same...

...and we're to blame

Tuesday, July 15, 2008

A long week for Baseball fans

If any of you knew me before Wes and I moved to Atlanta, you know that I didn't like baseball. OK, I hated it, despised it, even loathed it. I won't go into details other than say, it was for personal reasons. In fairness, I had never been to a real baseball game. I mean, I went to high school games that my friends played in, American Legion games and even some NC State games only because one of my friends dated the catcher. But I would never commit to enjoying the experience. Then, we moved here and everything changed. Before we moved last summer, Wes and I decided that we didn't necessarily have to love baseball but we should at least give the Braves a chance. We started watching games (there really is nothing else to watch on summer nights and when it's 100 degrees at sundown, why be outside?). We got to know the players and kinda liked the announcer guys but the games were still on TBS so they came on every night even in Wilmington but we only watched a couple of games a week and still didn't really think that we would like being baseball fans. One of the times that we came to visit for interviews, we stayed with the Tutterows and asked them, well, here's the conversation:

Me: So, will y'all be watching/going to a Braves game this week?


Vicki: Um, it's the All-Star break...

Me: Oh, yea, I knew that...

Of course I didn't know that. They get a break??? Then, we moved to Atlanta on August 3 and went to our first live Braves game shortly after...

...we left on MARTA changed forever... Thanks to Delta, we received our first Braves merchandise free on a hat giveaway night. This season, in April, we bought jerseys in Underground Atlanta (they're way cheaper there than anywhere else if you're looking). I don't really know how to explain our transformation other than being in a city with a team like the Braves is fun. Everyone talks about it at work the next day and everyone is a Braves fan. Everyone hates the Mets and Phillies. It's fun to be in a community like that...and it's actually cheaper for us to go to a game than a movie. That's right!

On Sunday, we were a little sad that we wouldn't be able to watch the Bravos for a week and since nothing else decent comes on TV anymore, we were forced into watching the Home Run Derby if we would watch anything. Fortunately for us, records were broken and it was actually entertaining. Until that guy that hit 28 home runs stopped, then it was boring until he came back on...but then he lost, weird.


I read this girl's blog often because it's about the Braves from a girl's perspective: http://braveslove.blogspot.com/
She kept up with the derby last night and I enjoyed these quotes:


8:12pm --

Chase Utley is a doll. I wish he wasn't a Phillie, so I could love him more.

8:15pm --

Erin Andrews' blouse is fit for a Disney Princess.

8:19pm --
I'm still not tired of "the most interesting man in the world". Love those Dos Equis commercials.


That Dos Equis guy really is amazing...


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

chase utley is a doll & that's why he's in philadelphia! go phillies!!!